Vaz Pinto: Our target is to reach the group stage

faraja
Site Admin

Vaz Pinto: Our target is to reach the group stage

Post by faraja »

Vaz Pinto tells goal.com that everything is settled and the team is working towards reaching the group stage.
“Our focus is our process and always I said we keep the focus in our work to grow as a team, I don’t keep focusing in our results, I put the focus in our training, in our process because of that I don’t think we have any type pressure,” Vaz Pinto told Goal on Friday.

“I know it is important to win because it not only for Gor Mahia but for the football of Kenya, we play to represent the country not to represent Gor Mahia and because of that it is important to win the match but my main focus is always in my work.”

On whether he will help the team reach the group stage, Vaz Pinto said: “We have one goal in this competition and our main goal is get to the group stage, we will work to this and of course I believe we can do that because the players have given good signs in training sessions and like I said before we continue to work and get to the group stage and after that, we will see.

“We want to win the league, we want to win titles and like I said before our main target is to reach the group stage, it is very important we do that, these are the three big goals we have for this season.”

On his part, captain Kenneth Muguna dismissed reports doing round in social media that some of the players in the team had opted to skip training pressing for their unpaid salaries.
Article continues below

“I was in the national team training camp and we were given a day off before joining Gor Mahia, so I don’t think we have skipped training, every player is around and we are ready,” Muguna told Goal.

“We know Napsa is a good team, though we don’t know them the same way we know teams that will play against them in Kenya but we always go into matches with confidence and aiming to win and I know we have a good squad to give us the good result.

Gor Mahia are currently placed sixth on the 18-team league table with 16 points from nine matches.
faraja
Site Admin

Re: Vaz Pinto: Our target is to reach the group stage

Post by faraja »

Government has denied Gor Mahia's request for fans to attend
The government has denied Gor Mahia's request to have a small number of fans to be allowed to attend their CAF Confederation Cup match against Napsa Stars of Zambia at Nyayo National Stadium on Sunday.

Reports on social media had indicated that the Ministries of Sports and Health had allowed 9,000 fans to attend the match, which will kick-off at 3pm.

But Joe Okudo, the Principal Secretary in the Ministry of Sports denied the reports stating: “I am not aware of anything like that and the Ministry of Health can’t give that permission yet we are still in the midst of Covid-19.”

According to a letter dated February 11, 2021 seen by Nation Sport, the Ministry of Health had on Thursday turned down Gor Mahia’s request to have at least 10,000 supporters attend the match.

“… However, at a time when the country is still witnessing widespread community transmission of the disease and with the recent global emergence of new highly transmissible SARS-CoV-2variant, with a surge of cases in some countries in the region, such a large gathering of fans could potentially instigate a resurgence of cases and deaths. Restriction on gatherings remains a key measure to curtail the transmission of Covid-19,” said part of the letter addressed to Gor Mahia chairman Ambrose Rachier and copied to the Principal Secretary, Ministry of Sports.

It added: “You may also recall that the launching of the guidance for resumption of sporting activities during Covid-19 pandemic in the country, the presence of spectators in all sporting avenues was discouraged. In view of the above, your request cannot be supported until further guidance on the presence of spectators in sporting events has been issued.”

Gor face the Zambians in the first leg at Nyayo with the return leg set for next Sunday at Woodlands Stadium in Lusaka with the aggregate winners set to sail through to the Caf Confederation Cup group stage.