Why Jacob Okello ditched Gor Mahia for golf By Ochieng Oyugi.

T Opiyo
Second Half Substitute

Why Jacob Okello ditched Gor Mahia for golf By Ochieng Oyugi.

Post by T Opiyo »

Player welfare seem to be Gor Mahia's undoing.
It seems the use and dump policy has been there for a while.
Club standards and reputation has taken a beating to the current lowest standards.

The Jacob Okello story.
Remember Philemon, Batambuze, Washington Ochieng, Solomon Nasio.

According to Okello, the feat he achieved could not have been possible had he stuck with football; his first love.

He used to play for Kenyan Premier League football champions Gor Mahia FC in the early ‘80s as a midfielder.

He dazzled at the centre alongside the late Abbas Khamis ‘Zamalek’ Magongo, who passed on 22 years ago.

His other teammates included Kakamega High School’s George Nyangi Odembo and his name sake David Okello.

Okello featured for the 19-time KPL champions until he broke his leg while in Form four.

Okello [Jonah Onyango, Standard]
The incident did not augur well with his family as it affected his education at Kakamega High.

It actually changed the course of his career, from the football field to the golf course.

“I always don’t want to speak about the sad event of that day, it has never left my mind to date,” he said.

“The incident was too heavy for my family. I was left on my own by the club. It was my dad Ben, who foot the hospital bill when I picked the injury.”

“As a family, we agreed I end my football career when Gor took us in circles over the bill. It was a painful decision to make. Looking back, I can’t regret because I have achieved amazing things with golf.”

As Okello bid bye to football which he crazily loved, his Gor Mahia teammates went ahead to dominate regional and continental titles including lifting the African Cup Winners Cup/Mandela Cup in 1987, Cecafa Clubs Championship (1980,81,85) and the Kenya Challenge Cup/ Moi Golden (1983,86,87).

Okello advises current leaders at the club to strive and run things professionally so that they can save great talents in the team.

“If I didn’t have a father who stood by me during that lowest moment when my leg was plastered, I could have ended up as a street boy,” said Okello.
jatingare
Bench Warmer

Re: Why Jacob Okello ditched Gor Mahia for golf By Ochieng Oyugi.

Post by jatingare »

We need a person like him to run for Chairman. Is Rachier the only person who can run this team?