Vaz Pinto explains why Wilson Fonseca was signed

faraja
Site Admin

Vaz Pinto explains why Wilson Fonseca was signed

Post by faraja »

Coach Vaz Pinto says Fonseca brings a different dimension to Gor Mahia.
Report from goal.com

The player is the first to be given a deal by the club after the appointment of the former St George SC head coach

Gor Mahia head coach Manuel Vaz Pinto has explained why he proposed the signing of Brazilian striker Wilson Silva Fonseca to Gor Mahia.

The forward is the first player the Football Kenya Federation Premier League side has signed in the ongoing mini-transfer window and after the appointment of the Portuguese coach.

“I have seen Silva play before and always I have said that if you bring a foreigner he needs to be better than local players or gives qualities that are different to the team than the local lads,” Pinto told Radio Jambo in defence of Silva’s arrival.

“I cannot say his level is higher than the other strikers but what I said is that he is different from the others that we have.

“The foreigners have to be better of course that is what I have said. They need to bring some characteristics in the game and I can give you an example of Cristiano Ronaldo and Alvaro Morata at Juventus.

“They do not have the same characteristics, they are not the same but they are important for the team. Of course, Ronaldo scores more goals but Morata could be giving more spaces for Ronaldo to score.”

The former St George SC coach also praised a number of his players and explained how Sydney Ochieng and Alpha Onyango have earned his trust.

“Tito Okello missed a number of goals against Vihiga United but he scored in Kisumu two goals [against Western Stima]. Coaches cannot give some skills to the players what you can give is a general organisation,” he concluded.

“But I am happy for what they are doing for the team and if you ask me if they can improve the way they try to score goals, yes they can.
Article continues below

“Alpha has won his opportunity and it is not that I gave him the opportunity, he fought and he deserves it. If you see something in the training, you have to give the player an opportunity. He and Sydney won these opportunities because they work very hard and I am very happy about the two guys because they are showing me what I want.

“It is not only about Alpha or Sydney I am happy about them all because of what they do and try to improve.”
OJO
Bench Warmer

Re: Vaz Pinto explains why Wilson Fonseca was signed

Post by OJO »

The last Brazilian we encountered was a "Wainganjo" - happy you are trying to explain the difference.
T Opiyo
Second Half Substitute

Post by T Opiyo »

It all sounds dubious.
I hope we didn't sign a coach who doubles up as a football agent.
The coach is already making excuses for his striker but bottom line what we want is results.
Then there is the elephant in the room payment of players salaries and allowances. I hope preferential payment is not being being given to foreigners especially if they can even get us into the CAF group stages.

I am noting the performance of Sammy Omollo Pamzo and Salim Ali teams, Posta Rangers and Mathare United with concern. These are coaches Gor Mahia's EC are eying but they don't seem impressive
jatingare
Bench Warmer

Post by jatingare »

This team needed central defenders, not another striker
jatingare
Bench Warmer

Post by jatingare »

Fonseca vows to beat Ingwe

He may not be able to communicate effectively in English but Gor Mahia’s Brazilian striker Wilson Silva has promised to bang in the goals at his new workstation, starting with Sunday’s Mashemeji derby against AFC Leopards.

Silva who joined the Kenyan champions a few ago following a recommendation from the club’s Portuguese coach Vaz Pinto has also talked up the quality within the Kenyan champions’ rank.

K’Ogalo and Silva will play host to Leopards at the Moi International Sports Centre, Kasarani, for the first time this season, in a fixture that will be played behind closed in line with the government regulations aimed at curbing the spread of Covid-19.

Nairobi News caught up with the burly striker on Wednesday at the Camp Toyoyo grounds in Nairobi during the team’s training session. He asserts that he is a complete footballer who always yearns to win every game.

He joined the record champion last week from Fortaleza FC which plays in the Categoria Primera B in Brazil where he scored five goals last season.

Even though Silva understands only Portuguese, this scribe was forced to use the services of Andrew Juma and Michael Apudo to communicate with him through sign language.

“I have heard about the derby and they have informed me this is the most important game in this country. My target is to score goals and for the shortest time I have been in this team, everyone talks of wining in the derby,” said Silva, sometimes asserting his points in his Portuguese.

During the session, Silva who is naturally a central striker but can also play on the flanks made complete passes, won the ball, and made runs for his colleagues across the attack.

The 20-year-old forward who sat out of his team’s 3-1 win against Bandari last weekend, asserts that he is ready to hit the ground running in the big game.

A number of Green Army fans also turned up to watch Silva just to be sure of his football prowess.

“Gor has optimistic fans who have welcomed me well since my arrival. My work is to score goals in the club matches and win titles. I have to begin with the derby,” he added.

Vaz Pinto was occasionally forced to stop training in a bid to interpret instructions to the new signing.

The signing of Silva drew mixed reactions from Gor Mahia fans who questioned how the financially crippled giants will cater for his salaries.

Some fans are also wary he could flop like compatriot Giovanni Rodriguez who signed for the club in 2013 but left without playing a single game.

In the 2013 season, as K’Ogalo were racing to bag their first Kenyan Premier League title after 18 years drought, Gor swooped in Rodriguez who became the first-ever player from outside Africa to ply his trade on Kenyan soil.

However the hype, excitement and bragging of K’Ogalo fans turned into agony, shame, ridicule and nightmare, when Rodriguez who was hyped as a deadly finisher struggled to even juggle a football.

Giovanni was released by the then Croatian coach Zdravko Logarusic and the technical bench without playing even a single match.

To sum it all it later emerged that Gor was duped by agents who convinced them to sign the player.