Jerim Onyango discusses his formative days, his career at Gor Mahia and his future plans. He discusses his annual tournament (Jerry Jagoal Cup) that is held in Ugunja in Ugenya constituency. Two graduates of that tournament are currently playing in the Kenya Premier League.
In the second part, Jerim discusses why he has decided to hung his boots and what he will do if elected as MCA for Ugunja.
After grabbing man of the match honours at the recent mashemeji derby, KTN caught up with youthful sensation Eric Ouma for an interview.
In the interview he says that hard work is what has enabled him to reach where he is in football and he realizes that he will need to continue working hard in order to maintain his place in the starting line-up and his place in the national team.
The interview also reveals that Marcelo has attracted offers from several teams within the country and possible outside since his contract is ending in December.
1. Ouma “Marcelo” is capable of crossing fairly accurately with either foot as displayed in these highlights.
Should he continue to work on his crossing, he can become another Sammy Onyango “Jogoo”, the best two-footed crosser ever in Kenya
2. With his two-footed ability, Ouma could be deployed on either flank
3. Kagere’s ability to soar above defenders and head accurately is reminiscent of the legend Peter Dawo
4. With two good crossers on each flank (Ouma and Nizigiyimana), Tuyisenge is bound to benefit immensely.
5. Tuyisenge is quick to thank his suppliers. Note that each time he scored, he raced across the field to thank Marcelo. This is something Olunga never did last year even though he benefited from really good suppliers. He better learn to do this in Sweden and at Harambee stars where the likes of Timbe might refuse to pass him the ball.
6. Tuyisenge’s ability to pit himself in the right spot at the right time is reminiscent of Hezborn Omollo, one of the club’s all time leading scorers and could see him net a dozen more goals.
José Marcelo Ferreira aka Ze Maria popularly known as Ze Maria was on Tuesday introduced as the new Kogalo coach. Flanked by the club chairman, players and other officials, Ze Maria, the Brazilian tactician espoused his passion for the game.
“I am Brazilian, therefore I love this game and I will try to transport this passion to Gor Mahia players and return the team for his place, first place” he said in stuttering English.
Well the good news is that he can communicate in English at a level that is good enough.
In a previous interview Ze maria noted that he recognized the previous success of the team
“You won the Championship last year, so my goal is to win again this year, then go to the Champions league and win that as well”. he said
Chairman Ambrose Rachier noted that Ze Maria has previously worked with famous coaches like Jose Mourinho at Chelsea and Carlo Ancelloti at Inter Milan. He explained what qualifications the club was looking for while taking a side swipe at previous coach Frank Nuttall.
“We were looking for a person from a professional background so that he can instill professionalisnm to this team. And trust me when I say we will not have a repeat of what happened in the past” said Rachier.
Ze Maria who holds maria holds a UEFA Pro license has a tall order in lifting the team out of its malaise. The team has not won a single game in eight attempts this season. First things first, Ze Maria will need to learn about his players.
“I have come to try as much as possible and help this great team, definitely I will try to help the team win the championship, that is the main target. I will have to first know the team, get basic information which will guide me. But I believe that it will be a good venture and the team will manage to defend the league title.” he said.
His first test will be away to Kakamega Homeboyz this Saturday at Mumias Complex.
As a side note, the journalists forgot to ask him if he knows fellow Brazilian Giovanni Rodriguez Bissolli who once tried out for Kogalo.
The Italian trainer Sandro Fantoni was also at the press conference and noted that he was here to follow his dreams.
“I come here for follow dreams and after that the results will speak for themselves”
With Fantoni flanking Ze Maria, it is not clear what the fate of current Gor Mahia physical trainer, Nduta Maina will be. Gor Mahia